What real students are saying...
Great for beginners!
Well-organized tutorials with short videos that are easy to understand and are straight to the point. Each section prepares you for the next one quite well. ...Read More
Well-organized tutorials with short videos that are easy to understand and are straight to the point. Each section prepares you for the next one quite well. There are bonus videos at the end demonstrating the entire process & techniques presented in this course.Read Less
Finally understanding the black magic of colours
I have been doing inks for years, as they are my passion and because I was simply afraid of colouring. I never understand how people managed to pick the righ...Read More
I have been doing inks for years, as they are my passion and because I was simply afraid of colouring. I never understand how people managed to pick the right tones, how they make things so pleasant for the eyes and many other things. I have to admit that I have done many beginner's mistakes like shading with black, making my pages way too dark or using airbrush only, and fortunately such mistakes are talked about here as well. Besides giving one a great base knowledge of colours and how to use them. there are many tips and tricks to make things even better with small steps thanks to Photoshop, how to use colours for storytelling and how to avoid certain issues. Furthermore, the download pack with brushes and settings are fantastic and made me feel like watching a Bob Ross video as I was drawing along with the exact same assets - and it's nice to get an explaination regarding all the things like RGB/CYMK. I can finally say I am not afraid of colours anymore! Thank you so much.Read Less
Koen Van Nuffelen
Whether you have some photoshop experience or none at all this course is a must for anyone who has the slightest interest in the process of coloring a comic ...Read More
Whether you have some photoshop experience or none at all this course is a must for anyone who has the slightest interest in the process of coloring a comic (or any illustration with this technique). Everything is provided,the basics of the tools and even the tools themselves! Don't be too intimidated and push through as for this course will build you a foundation you can grow with.Read Less
This course helps me to be a better colorist
I had just started coloring comics before this course, but I was having a lot of troubles. The values were wrong, the pages didn't look professional enough a...Read More
I had just started coloring comics before this course, but I was having a lot of troubles. The values were wrong, the pages didn't look professional enough and didn't always convey the mood they needed. This course helped me immensely. I feel more confident and, while I need more practice and experience, I can see how far I'm from the start. I have a recurring gig now and I'm looking for more work.Read Less
Signed up in order to change my career. Couldn't have hop...
What a foundation I've been given! Thank you Mr Russell!
What a foundation I've been given! Thank you Mr Russell!Read Less
Straight off the bat!
I'm glad I stumbled upon a comic coloring tutorial by K Michael Russel on YouTube. The fact that I've learned so much from there, considering it's free, make...Read More
I'm glad I stumbled upon a comic coloring tutorial by K Michael Russel on YouTube. The fact that I've learned so much from there, considering it's free, makes me think that the Coloring Course he's offering is worth every penny. And sure it was! Each video lessons are comprehensive and easy to follow. No matter what level you are, beginner or not, I'm sure you'll be able to learn a trick or two from this course, especially the basic concepts of Coloring Comics.Read Less
- Introduction to the course
- Tools of the trade
- What is a colorist? FREE PREVIEW
- Important downloads & attachments
- How to install the Photoshop Presets
- Note about the Actions
- How to set up your tools manually
- Optional (but helpful) Photoshop add-ons
- a note re: posting artwork for feedback
Line art preparation
- Samples pages to color
- How to set up your line art
- How to clean up line-art with levels
- How to set up your coloring layers FREE PREVIEW
Photoshop tools - tips, tricks & settings
- Introduction to Photoshop's tools
- Using Photoshop keyboard shortcuts
- My custom keyboard shortcuts
- How to use the lasso tool (it does more than you think!) FREE PREVIEW
- How to use the bucket tool
- How to use the magic wand tool
- How to use the brush & pencil tool
- How to use the gradient tool
- Introduction to color theory
- Hue, saturation, & value explained FREE PREVIEW
- Warm and cool color concepts
- Using complementary color schemes
- Analogous and monochromatic scheme examples
- Color context (When red is not red!) FREE PREVIEW
- Avoiding muddy colors with my "K" rule of thumb
- Introduction to rendering
- Storytelling examples
- Working with planes (foreground, midground, background) FREE PREVIEW
- Using separations and panel layers
- How & why you should check your values
- Using different levels of detail when rendering
- The "Layer via copy" trick FREE PREVIEW
- Lighting angles (Where is the light source?)
- "Cut and grad" rendering style
- Cel-shaded rendering style
- Painterly rendering style
- "Flat" rendering style
Coloring walkthrough (what we've learned so far)
- Walkthrough - Part 1
- Walkthrough - Part 2
- Walkthrough - Part 3
- Walkthrough - Part 4
- Walkthrough - Part 5
- How to make color holds (changing the color of the line art)
- Primer on technical concepts
- Using Brush Modes (Overlay, Screen, etc)
- How to create special effects (glows, fire, etc) FREE PREVIEW
- How surfaces impact rendering
- Multiple light sources & "bounce" light
- Using Color Mode layers to shift color
- Layer masks
- Adjustment layers for non-destructive editing
- Texture overlays
Final page preparation
- The Beginning of the End!
- Preparing pages for print with CMYK conversion
- Batch processing
- Preparing pages for use on the Internet
- Project organization tips
The "business" of comic book coloring
- How to build your portfolio (with advice from my editor friends!)
- Finding work as a colorist
- Tips on collaborating with other creators
- My story about how I "broke in"
Bonus video tutorials
- Bonus #1: Real-time coloring walkthrough (fully narrated)
- Bonus #2: Gradient maps & more storytelling tips
- Bonus #3: Real-time coloring demo (video only)
Click Buy Now or choose a bundle below to save some $$$.
One-time fee. Instant access.
and together we will rule the galaxy as -- wrong speech... just click the button to enroll for full access!
What you'll need to get started
Photoshop or a functionally similar application such as Clip Studio. Note that Photoshop CS6 & CC are used throughout this course. Most techniques have an equivalent function in other apps.
A graphics tablet is highly recommended.